Christmas has Santa. Easter has the Easter Bunny. And now one comics studio wants you to create a mascot for Chinese New Year. Tianjin Creator World Comics, most well known for its Romance of the Three Kingdoms graphic novel series, launched the “Spring Wawa International Comic Character Creative Design Competition” in South Korea earlier this month. The prolixly titled contest is seeking design submissions from around the globe for an iconic mascot to accompany the Chinese New Year season.
The “Spring Wawa” name derives from “Spring Festival 春节,” the common name for the Lunar New Year in China, and “Wawa 娃娃,” meaning doll or baby. Contest organisers hope this mascot will help promote the festive season and, a bit like Santa, encourage shoppers to spend more.
In a quirky twist, one of the competition judges is Peter Vesterbacka, the creator of Angry Birds. The competition is also being held in cooperation with Rovio Entertainment, the game’s developer. What are the chances we’ll be seeing some Spring Wawa/Angry Birds crossovers next year?
If you need a little motivation to get your creative juices flowing, the total prize pool for this competition is RMB690,000 (more than US$110,000). The first prize winner will receive RMB300,000. Ten silver prize winners will receive RMB10,000 each, and 20 bronze prize winners will receive RMB5,000 each. Additionally, 30 “excellence in creative design” winners will each receive RMB3,000, while the best organisation prize offers RMB10,000 to ten winners.
Winners will also receive trophies and certificates (though, let’s be honest, we’re a lot more interested in the money at this point).
More information on the competition is available on the official website. The English there can be a little bit wonky, so here’s a rundown of the stuff you need to know if you’re thinking about entering.
The fancy details:
• This competition is open to anyone around the world. You may also enter as a group or organisation.
• There is no limit to the number of design submissions per group or person—enter as many times as you want.
• The submission deadline is 30 November 2014.
• For prize winners, return flights and accommodation will be covered by the organisers.
• The theme for the competition is Chinese New Year. The design should combine modern elements with traditional Chinese culture. It should be original, unique, fashionable, and marketable with global appeal and have positive connotations. Do not plagiarise the work of others. Do not incorporate hateful imagery in the design.
• The design should be a cartoon. See below for examples.
How to enter:
• Download the details pack here.
• Digital submissions can be in .jpg, .png, .bmp, .tif or .psd format with a minimum resolution of 300dpi. It should be at least 210mm x 297mm.
• Fill out the application form and sign the letter of commitment included in the details pack and upload it with your designs. Don’t compress the files. Email your submission to chunjiewawa [at] vip.163.com
If you’re thinking about entering, let us know so we’ll know who to go for. If you win, let us know so we can try and score a commission off your prize money. Remember, you can enter as many times as you like. Good luck and happy drawing!