1. Having released his latest CD, Jay Chou will be trying out acting again. He is joining the cast of “True Legend” aka “Beggar Su” aka “Su Qi Er” , whose name refers to the great martial artist who mastered drunken fighting.
This character has appeared in many martial art films including Drunken Master, and has been played by Donnie Yen and others. The movie will be directed by famed martial arts choreographer, Yuan Heping or better known as Yuen Woo-ping, aka the best action choreographer in the world. This collab must be a fanboy’s dream come true for Jay Chou who loves martial arts. He plays someone who will give instruction to Beggar So, played by martial arts actor Zhao Wenzuo . Other notables in the cast are actress Zhou Xun playing Beggar So’s wife and Guo Xiaodong, of Luo Ye’s “Summer Palace.” who places a patriot inspired by the man. People asked why Jay was chosen, without an martial arts training or background experience (Kung Fu Dunk does not count apparently) and Mr. Yuen said something about his silent cool persona being right for the role. Psh, you know he just wants the free movie theme that he gets in the bargain. Jay said he was happy to oblige for this movie.
2. A still from “Desires of the Heart” was released showing Ge You and Fan Bingbing in bed. This releases November 20th. I like Ge You and Fan Bingbing but not together, and not like that, even if this is a comedy. I have to say though, this looks like an interesting movie, and while Fan Bingbing may be best known for her humongo eyes, she looks really adorable in glasses. This will be the year for Chinese movie actresses in glasses looking cute and quirky. Quick poll!
3. The main cast and crew of the new “The Dream of the Red Chamber”posed for some shots for magazine Officiel. After seeing these pics of Yang Yang I don’t have faith anymore of him as Baoyu. He looks like a deer caught in headlights in all the pictures. He’s much better when he’s just being himself (and with bangs). And both of those girls look like they’re deathly sick, not just Lin Daiyu. They’re spending 7.3 million USD on this production and hopefully by the time it’s ready to air, it will be better than what’s been seen.
4. A new video showing the filming of “My Love Bread” was posted, showing “Jarvis” (I cannot believe he chose this as an English name. It’s the mad hatter’s name!) Wu Jianfei and Ariel Lin filming their scene for the series. It actually seems really awkward and Ariel looks like she’s thinking, What am I doing here? This guy’s acting sucks. And yeah, sadly she’s right.
5. It’s official. There are now three out of the four great novels in production as tv series, first Dream of the Red Chamber, the Three Kingdoms, and now Journey to the West. The last one may be the most iconic out of all of them, but here it certainly doesn’t seem to be getting the same treatment that the lavish productions of the other two have. This is what CRI English had to say.
Sorry, this post just got more depressing as it went on. I’ll be on the lookout for a Water Margin remake. I know some tv director/producer is just dying to tap into that as of yet un-remade classic.